Insulin Management for Kids with Diabetes
When a child lives with diabetes, it is a stressful time for everyone in the family. As a caregiver, you want to choose an insulin delivery method that both addresses your child’s evolving health needs while also granting him or her the freedom to be a normal kid.
The Omnipod® Insulin Management System was created for this very reason – to manage diabetes with as few disruptions to daily life as possible. Ranked the # 1 prescribed insulin pump for children1 of all ages with diabetes, the tubeless Omnipod® System is easy to use and allows caregivers and older kids to deliver and monitor insulin wirelessly2.
A Tubeless, Waterproof2 Insulin Pump System
The Omnipod® System includes a tubeless, waterproof3 Pod that your child can wear just about anywhere that he or she would be given an insulin injection. It’s the #1 prescribed insulin pump for pediatrics* because our Pod system is:
- available for pediatric diabetes patients of all ages
- tubeless, so it won’t get caught in the jungle gym and you can even dose wirelessly2 at night without having to get out of bed
- easy to activate and use, with automatic cannula insertion and no needles in sight
- small enough to be worn discreetly under clothes
- waterproof3, allowing for bathing and water sports without disconnecting
How Our Wearable Insulin Delivery System Works
Insulin pumps replace the need for daily insulin injections by delivering small doses of insulin to your child’s body steadily throughout the day. The Omnipod® System differs from other insulin pump products with its innovative, compact, and tubeless design, tailor-made for you and your child’s busy lives.
The Omnipod® System is simple, with just two parts:
1. The Pod
A small, adhesive-backed device applied to the arm, back, stomach, leg and other areas where it can be easily worn under clothing. The Pod’s small, flexible cannula inserts automatically into the skin with the push of a button. It delivers precise doses of insulin based on the instructions you program into its wireless2 companion, the Personal Diabetes Manager.
2. The Personal Diabetes Manager
A handheld device that puts insulin delivery control at your fingertips. There’s no need to keep the Personal Diabetes Manager with your child at all times – once you activate the Pod, it only needs to be within 5 feet of the Pod to deliver a mealtime or correction bolus2. It simplifies diabetes management with individualized insulin settings, stored medical data, a database of carbohydrate counts for most foods, and a built-in FreeStyle blood glucose (BG) meter.
Why is the Omnipod® System the #1 Prescribed Pump for kids1?
Over 100,000 Omnipod® System users and their families experience the benefits of our tubeless insulin delivery system every day. They call themselves “Podders™,” and here’s what they have to say about our insulin management system:
The Omnipod® System lets kids be kids.
- The Pod delivers insulin nonstop for up to 3 consecutive days4, meaning that your kid can go to dance class, play video games, wrestle with siblings, and play with friends with fewer interruptions.
- Your kid will never worry about tubes that get stuck on clothes while playing soccer or swimming.
- There are no limitations on clothing choices since the inconspicuous Pod can be easily worn under clothes. There’s no bulky pump to worry about.
- The durable Pod is ideal for competitive athletics and active lifestyles, allowing little league stars and high school gymnasts alike to focus on their sport, rather than their diabetes.
The Pod is easy to apply and insertion is quick and virtually painless.
- Pod application and insertion is quick and easy, saving parents the frustration of holding kids still for manual injections.
- There’s no need to remove the waterproof3 Pod or worry about where to hook your child’s pump in the shower or pool.
- You don’t need to worry about keeping the Personal Diabetes Manager in close proximity to your child when delivering a pre-programmed basal program, as it only needs to be within 5 feet of the Pod2 to deliver a bolus or initiate a new basal program.
Easy-to-use technology simplifies blood glucose level management.
- With only two components, the Omnipod® System is easy to use.
- Insulin is delivered nonstop for up to 3 consecutive days4, which helps to avoid changes in blood glucose levels that come with disconnecting from basal insulin delivery.
- The small Personal Diabetes Manager can easily be carried in backpack, purse, or gym bag, making the Omnipod® System ideal for any lifestyle.
- In addition to regular basal and bolus doses, you can also preset temporary doses and customize basal rate when your child is active, ill, or may require a different dosage for a set period.
- It’s easy to set and administer a mealtime bolus dose – no need to get an injection at every meal or snack.
- The Personal Diabetes Manager allows you to customize mealtime bolus doses to take place over an extended period of time.
Toby’s T1D Tale iPad Application
We developed Toby’s T1D Tale as an educational resource for kids and their families to help them learn about Type 1 Diabetes through a fun, interactive mobile interface. Available for free through iTunes, the app follows Omnipod® System mascot Toby the Turtle™ from diagnosis to treatment as he, his family, and his friends learn how to manage diabetes.
Caregiver’s Guide to the Omnipod® System
SmartSitter’s Guide to Caring for Podder™ Kids
For parents, being away from a child with Type 1 Diabetes is tough. But parents need time to themselves and children need space to grow more independent with their diabetes tasks. A resource for parents of children with Type 1 Diabetes and their sitters, SmartSitters covers essential information about T1D to help families and sitters manage T1D together. Read our guide online or download the guide as a PDF to share with your sitter.
- * According to dQ&A Q3 2016 Patient Panel Survey. Share of parents of children with type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump who had chosen the Omnipod® was higher than for other pumps. Statistical significance of results calculated at the 95% level.
- Upon initial set-up, the Pod and PDM must be adjacent and touching. For normal operations, the Pod must be within 5 feet of the PDM.
- The Pod has a waterproof IPX8 rating for up to 25 feet for 60 minutes. The Personal Diabetes Manager is not waterproof.
- Up to 72 hours of insulin delivery.