In both Automated and Manual Mode, boluses for meals, snacks, or corrections require your action. The good news is the Omnipod® 5 System is equipped with a SmartBolus Calculator that will suggest a bolus dose.
The SmartBolus Calculator can:
- suggest a bolus dose based on carbohydrate amounts and current blood glucose or continuous glucose monitor (CGM) value and trend
- help prevent stacking bolus doses by considering insulin on board (IOB)
- increase, decrease or pause insulin doses based on CGM value and trend (only while using CGM information)
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind:
- If the Omnipod 5 App doesn't have a current CGM value when you open the SmartBolus Calculator, the Use CGM button will be disabled and appear grey. In this case, you can enter a blood glucose value by tapping in the Glucose field and then BG entry field.
- Review your entries to make sure you entered everything correctly. You can review the bolus calculations by tapping Calculations.
- Wait until the green progress bar appears before moving the Pod out of range of the device on which you're using the Omnipod 5 App.
- While the bolus is delivering, you may cancel the bolus if needed by tapping Cancel.
Watch the video for step-by-step instructions to learn how you can deliver a bolus.
Training is essential and must be completed before using the Omnipod 5 System. As part of this process, you will need to meet with your healthcare provider and visit omnipod.com/setup to complete setup and schedule your required training.
Omnipod 5 Resources: https://www.omnipod.com/current-podders/resources/omnipod-5
Omnipod 5 Pro Tip Series: https://www.omnipod.com/protips
The Omnipod 5 Automated Insulin Delivery (AID) System is cleared for individuals with type 1 diabetes ages 2 years and older. The Omnipod 5 System is intended for single patient, home use and requires a prescription.
The Omnipod 5 System is compatible with the following U-100 insulins: NovoLog®, Humalog®, and Admelog®.
For complete safety information including indications, contraindications, warnings, cautions, and instructions visit omnipod.com/safety. Consult your healthcare provider before starting on Omnipod. U.S. only.